Thursday, March 23, 2006

Review of Night by Elie Wiesel


OK, folks here is the first of my Oprah Winfrey book reviews, basically seeing if the books she recommends are good, shit, or just blah. So I think I'll make my rating system as follows:

1. Holy Fuck! Read the book it will change your life.
2. Good! means read the book it's good.
3. O.K! means it didn't do much for me, but was good enough if you have nothing else to read.
4. Just Blah! Did nothing for me.
5. SHIT! Waste of time, money and effort; the author should stop writing.

Elie Wisel won the Nobel Peace Prize, and this book deals with his memories as a child of the horrors that he and his family experienced during the WWII, in concentration camps.

How does one review a book that deals with such personal and beyond tragic story especially when it is a recount by the author. You just can't. It is stirring, it is hard to read at times because you just can't believe what the author went through, it is an important read. What I appreciated about his book is that it is 120 pages, so it is a quick read, but the intensity is still there. I'll be honest and say that when it comes to this subject matter I think Primo Levy's books stand out more for me, but Wiesel definately takes you there, and the book should make you feel something, (anger, hope, despair, sadness, etc...)

I would rate this particular book Good!. But recommend that you pick up The Perodic Table, by Primo Levy

Going down the list, the next review will be for A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogsCanada Listed on Blogwise Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Search Popdex: